Monday, July 24, 2006

Second Sock Syndrome Conquered!


Even with all of my Aunt Wendy duties of the weekend - coloring, having a Barbie Festival, going to the farm to see the cows, blowing bubbles, naming the flowers, having a sleepover - uch! - I still managed to finish my Socks that Rock - and if I do say so myself, Rock they do!

As I mentioned before, I was pretty concerned about the yarddage. These Feather and Fan Socks, from Socks, Socks, Socks, called for 375 yards, 15 yards over what I suppossedly had in my skein. I decided to risk it - I've never made a pair of socks yet that I didn't have yarn leftover. I cast on, and patterned on, not really looking at the pattern until I was ready to turn the heel. Oops - I had made the leg 1.5 inches longer than what the pattern called for (5 inches), so I was already cutting it close on yarddage, and, I had knit a bigger sock. I could have ripped back, but I decided to be wild and crazy and continue on. When I finished the first sock, I weighed it, along with the remainder of the ball, and I was good to go -- deep sigh of relief!

See that little ball of yarn - that's what I had left - glad I didn't do Pomatomus. I don't think I would have made it. In the future, I'm definitely going to invest in either the 2d lightweight skein, or the midweight. But, for now, I'm out of socks that rock, and I think it's time for the Jaywalkers - in Anne! And, what's to become of these sherbety-like socks - they're to be gifted tonight to my friend Ruth, who is permanently relocating to Florida - because what else does a girl need in Florida but a good pair of merino wool socks!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Those colors are very Florida-ey. Love the socks!

Unknown said...

I love socks that rock that is a loverly color way. Can't wait to see your jaywalkers knit with Anne.

laura said...

Just listened to the latest podcast and wanted to let you know you don't have to graft the two panels together. Just make one long panel. She originally did it as two panels so that appear to flow from both ends, but the edging is directional so you may as well go ahead and do one long panel.

Hope that makes it easier!

Carol said...

Your Socks that Rock are fab! I'm doing a pair of RPMs in them and love the yarn. How do you like the Socks Socks Socks book? Is it a must-buy?