Monday, January 23, 2006

Go Towson!

It's not the New York Times, but I feel like I've hit the bigtime - Baltimore Sun, misquotes and all. Whatever, it's not like anything in the article isn't true. You know, I didn't even know that Gary Neal was a good ball player until midway through the complainant's direct testimony and she tried to claim she didn't know who he was. I turned to him, and said, "weren't you good, or something?" "I was Rookie of the Year and the 3d leading scorer in Division I." Uh huh. I don't know, I just thought of him like the rest of my clients. But, Towson has generously given me courtside seats for tonight's big game - Drexel v. Towson. The Athletic Director asked me what I look like, so that he can meet me, and I was like, oh, the nice Jewish looking girl a la Barbra Streisand who looks like she's never been to a basketball game before, that would be me. Play ball!

In knitting news, I finished the back of the lacy cardigan. It's really not worth photographing until I block it, and to do that I either have to a. clean up my old blocking board, or b. buy a new one. I'm leaning the lazy way, and we all know what that is. There was one dicey moment when I was doing the neck - where the pattern said, "join second ball, work both sides at the same time." Second ball? Very gently, cautiously, I disobeyed strict orders, and took the yarn from the center pull -- so I was working from both ends of my one ball. I held my breath - it wasn't like there was that much knitting to be done. No knots, no tangles, all systems are go.

Now that that project is well underway (I'm almost done one of the fronts), and the rush of caston is over, the Knitting Olympics is calling - the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat - and if I really pick the project I'm thinking of, given my lace chart illiteracy, bigtime defeat. Gone are thoughts of child knitting, though, oh no -- I'm thinking real knitting agony - Brokeback agony (see today's Oscarwatch post). This weekend, my mother gave me the leftover Anne/Kid Silk Haze combo leftover from her scarf (yes, it's done, and no, I forgot to bring my camera home, so no pictures, and darn! there's that awesome acrylic baby blanket in her knitting bag as we speak). There's really not enough to make anything substantial, maybe a thin scarf, but the combo brought a gleam to my eye -- Ene's Scarf - Kid Silk/Anne - can you picture it? Well, I can picture it - and therein lies the danger - instead of iceberg, straight ahead - PROJECT STRAIGHTHEAD, TURN STARBOARD QUICK YOU DUMB ASS! I already feel my ship going down . . .

1 comment:

Wendy said...

WOW. It isn't very often that you find a reference to my alma mater in a knitting blog. Particularly by another knitting Wendy.

So I pop in to say great work (knitting and legal) and I'll keep stopping by.